Today, new streams of information are trained on us like so many fire hoses... What gets through? It’s not data, facts, or slogans. It’s a good story. In On Message, Zach Friend shows us how great narrative evokes emotion, spurs engagement, and creates action. Best of all, Friend practices what he preaches.
- Gary Stockman, former CEO of global public relations firm Porter Novelli
The great film producer Richard Zanuck once said, 'The most important thing is the story... It's the story people remember, the reason they love a movie. Zach Friend, something of a genius, figured out that's not just true about our favorite movies. It's true about everything anyone wants to tell you... Zach was right.
Whether calling upon his own experience with the 2008 Barack Obama campaign or mining wonderful nuggets of dialogue from quirky movies... Zach Friend has written an entertaining and insightful guide to crafting messages in business, life, and politics... I have to admit that in the real world his advice is dead-on.
- Walter Shapiro, political columnist, former Washington Bureau Chief for Salon.com
• Learn how to focus your communication efforts in a dramatically more powerful way on the most important factor, narrative
• Master the mindset needed to become a better communicator and make a forceful impact on your audience and clients
• Stop wasting time and energy gathering unnecessary facts and data that don’t advance your message
• Get results faster by using narrative as a productive tool that will fuel success
In this era of information overload and real-time communication where anyone can publish and broadcast to millions of people with the click of a button, there is no shortage of people talking about the need to get their message across, or having a “narrative.” But for business, marketing, and political campaigns, there is no definitive how-to on crafting a compelling narrative that achieves lasting results. And without a narrative, no amount of framing, complex messaging, or facts will succeed.
On Message solves that problem, illustrating how effective communicators understand the power of narrative, emotion, and simple messaging, and posits that having a personal, emotional narrative is the basis for all successful communication.
Drawing on Zach Friend’s own experience and insights from politics, advertising, corporate communications, entertainment, and social psychology, On Message provides a simple process for applying the powerful principles behind crafting a narrative, ultimately paving the path to success.